The First annual neighborhood 5 and 10k turkey trot starting at 13403 apple tree tomorrow at 8:20 am. (Remember – bring your own water! This is a fun but completely unsupported run/walk). I just mapped it and put up a couple signs. You’re responsible for the rest!
And good news for all local runners – the favorite to win, Meb Keflezighi, just scratched! That means this is anyone’s race. There will be medals for top 2 or 3 kid finishers boys and girls (depending on how many show up and how we divide up the divisions).
This is a fun run/walk but there are always a few folks well past their prime willing to blow out an Achilles for glory. For those people, we will be presenting the first-ever Neighborhood Runner’s Cup. Each year the top men’s and women’s finishers will win one of the 2 cups and forever have their name engraved on it. (Under 30 not eligible. You haven’t been beaten down by kids and/or life enough yet! You also must live in or around the local Neighborhoods) The Runners Cup is yours to keep until the next race (which may be before Turkey Trot 2019) where you will have to relinquish or defend to keep it!
For a competitive edge: If you promise to use one of our sponsors, you get a 10-second head start!.
Course Map. (see below)
Starts at 13403 Apple Tree, Houston TX 77079. From there you run on the south part of the loop on the map and go all the way to the end of Ramblewood where it meets West Forest near Memorial, turn around then when you get back to Yorkchester you run the north part of the loop – that’s 5k. Do it twice for the 10k.
Get there at 8 and warm up. Will start promptly at about 8:20 for racers and 8:30 for casual runners/walkers/people wanting to make room for turkey.
Thanks for the support from the folks below:
, (IT, Finance and Accounting staffing and consulting services)
Network Datacom Solutions
(consults, installs, integrates services and manages IT, communication and security system infrastructure)
Lyon and Tara Smith (Get your running shoes at Academy! Same prices as Amazon but you get to try them on!)
Kari and Ryan Oatman
Robbie and Anna Bellamy
1. Please come out. If you’re a last minute decision, please come or please let us know if you feel you need that extra bit of commitment to get out of the house on Thanksgiving – If you’re planning on running anyway, come on over!
2. There may or may not be awards for leaders and/or best Thanksgiving costume. It just depends if I have time to go pick them up. (kids or adults may enter.)
3. Competitivish Run begins at 8:20. Fun run begins at 8:30 for all puppies, kids, strollers, family and pet turkeys. (Please keep dogs on short leash for the safety of runners).
4. There are three portapotties on the course (Sponsored by Harvey the Hurricane.). I know they’re unlocked, but, that’s all I know. Our house is also open but it seems you always need one about mile 2.
5. If we have too many people for parking, is overflow parking across Wilchester at the park.
6. This is the first year so don’t expect a lot of support! We will have water, Gatorade, coffee, donuts, bananas, and granola but they might all run out… or we may have too much – (Everyone’s gung-ho until you have to wake up at 7 on Thanksgiving. .
7. Bring your own water for the run, the only water station will be at 5k
8. The route will be marked with spray paint and or signs on the roads at each turn.
9. We still have a few extra shirts – first come first serve.
10. Let’s have fun!